1. Use Bounce Fabric Softner sheets...Just wipe on and go.....Great for babies.
2. Take one vitamin B-1 tablet a day April through October. The odor the tablet gives out through your skin (You can’t smell it) repels mosquitos, black flies, no see-um’s and knats. It does not work on stinging insects. Vitamin B-1 (Thiamin Hydrochloride-100 mg.)
3. If you eat bananas, the mosquitos like you. Something in the banana oil as your body processes it. (Maybe they need potassium too!) Stop eating bananas for the summer and the mosquitos will be much less interested.
4. One of the best insect repellents found by someone who works in the woods all day has been Vicks Vaporub.
5. Plant marigolds around the yard. The flowers give off a smell the bugs do not like.
6. “Tough guy” Marines, who spend a great deal of time “camping out” say that the best mosquito repellent you can use is Avon Skin-So-Soft bath oil mixed about half & half with alcohol.
7. Mix your own repellent:
20 drops Eucalyptus oil
20 drops Cedarwood oil
10 drops Tea Tree oil
10 drops Geranium oil
2 oz. carrier oil (such as Jojoba)
Mix together in a 4 oz container. Apply to skin as needed avoiding the eye area. Keep out of reach of small children. Test on small area of skin for sensitivities.
8. One of the best natural repellents is made from the clear real vanilla. (Not the grocery store vanilla extract, which is mostly alcohol.) This is the pure vanilla that is sold mostly in Mexico. You can usually find a place to purchase it on-line or check your health food stores. Mix it half & half with water. Works great for mosquitos & ticks.